Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Surrounding myself with talent.....

So it's Tuesday, April 14, and I'm getting ready to play a show tonight at 12th & Porter, a fine venue here in Nashville.... It's the Billy Block Show, and Peter Cooper and I will be doing a 25-minute set starting at 8 pm sharp. So if you read this in time, then come on down... it's going to be really good.
We've got a full band with us tonight : Paul Griffith (drums), Dave Roe (bass), Tim Carroll (electric guitar), Jen Gunderman (keys), and Pete Finney (pedal steel). It'll be mighty fine.

Speaking of how lucky I am to play with such great musicians, I gotta say, this coming Friday, there's something really special happening. Peter and I will be going into the studio with some pals of ours, including pedal steel legend Lloyd Green and dobro legend Mike Auldridge. I've played with Lloyd on this recent recording I did with Peter Cooper ("You Don't Have to Like Them Both"), and Peter has recorded a bunch with Lloyd on his own. I got to record with Mike on "The Skylighters" project with Jimmy Gaudreau and the LTH rhythm section... but here's the thing: Mike and Lloyd have never recorded together like this (Mike on dobro and Lloyd on steel). They *did* record a double-dobro instrumental that Mike wrote called "Lloyd's of Nashville," back on Mike's self-titled album from around 1975... but they've never done *this* before...
Peter and I each have a new song, and we cherry-picked some tunes we wanted to hear these fellers on.... and we've come up with a half-dozen that would be suited to the world's greatest pedal steel player and the world's greatest dobro player (what songs *wouldn't* be improved with those two playing on them???)
We'll be joined in the studio by Dave Roe (bass), Pat McInerney (drums), and Richard Bennett (guitar). The thing is, those three are at the top of any list for their respective instruments too. It's going to be spectacular...
I'll report back on how it all goes....

No comments:

Post a Comment