Saturday, April 18, 2009

In the Studio with Lloyd Green and Mike Auldridge...
















It was a fine Friday morning when we loaded instruments and such into the House of David recording studio in Nashville.

Peter Cooper and I had realized that with a bit of fast logistical work we could make a dream come true and get into the studio with both Mike Auldridge AND Lloyd Green.

Lloyd has recorded two full records with Peter, and was the featured player on my duo record with Peter, "You Don't Have to Like Them Both." And Mike had recorded with me in The Skylighters a few years back (making a dream come true for this longtime fan of the original Seldom Scene lineup).... Then on April 6, Mike joined the two of us (and trumpeter Kevin Cordt) on stage up in Rockville, MD, at the Inst. of Musical Traditions show.... That's when we started dreaming.

And when Mike told us he was coming down to Nashville to lay down some dobro tracks on a Patty Loveless session, well, the cogs just started turning.

So, long story longer..... Mike said he'd love to stay another day for the chance to record with Lloyd Green, his long time friend and major influence on pedal steel (Mike is quite the steel player as anyone who's heard The Skylighters CD knows). And Lloyd said he was free on April 17 and would love to record with Mike, his major influence on dobro.

Peter and I called up House of David and booked the room. Then we called Richard Bennett (gutar and octave mandolin), Pat McInerney (drums), and Dave Roe (upright bass). They were all free and eager to record with a couple of legends. If you don't know those guys, they are among the best on their instruments. Bennett made the guitar sounds on S. Earle's "Guitar Town" and is currently in Mark Knopfler's band. McInerney is the longtime drummer in Nanci Griffith's Blue Moon Orchestra. Roe toured for years with a guy named Cash. Yep. That guy.

The next thing was the material. Hmmmmmm.
I had a song that Karl Straub and I had written, called "It Won't Be Me." It would certainly work with this band. Peter had a fine, fine tune co-written with Don Schlitz called "Suffer a Fool." Perfect. But we needed more. So we did what we did when we made our duo record.... racked our brains and listened to records and came up with a list:
* "Wait a Minute" by Herb Pedersen, recorded by the Seldom Scene
* "I Wish We Had Our Time Again" by John Hartford
* "I Flew Over Our House Last Night" by Tom T Hall
* "Silent Night" by Jon Byrd

Peter and I had sung "Wait a Minute" with Mike up in D.C., and we're both huge Seldom Scene fans... and that's such a great song....

"I Wish We Had Our Time" is an old fiddle tune that Hartford added words to. At first it seems like a lighthearted romp, but then you realize, it's one of the best songs about years going by ever written....

The Tom T. song I've recorded with Last Train Home, on the "Live at IOTA" DVD, but it's such a great song and we knew that Lloyd and Mike could really sink their teeth into it.

And the Jon Byrd song first appeared on the "Yuletide From the Other Side" CD that I put out in 2007 on Red Beet Records, and I can't get it out of my head. It's just gorgeous....

So... we had the songs...
And then we went into the studio...
Brenton was behind the boards running things...

and...
it...
was...
amazing...

I can't say for sure when these songs will see the light of day.... We all agreed that we should find 6 more songs and book another day in the studio. That will all depend on Mike's travel schedule this year, but he is up for it, so I can promise you that I will try hard to make this happen. That will make it a full album.

We were also filming the proceedings (well, Eric Fritsch was behind the camera) so I'll bet that we'll have a short video up soon on YouTube (you can go there now and type "red beet" and see some other stuff we've been up to...)

Okay... that's all for now....

2 comments:

  1. that's all for now...? THAT'S ALL FOR NOW?!!?!

    goodgawd, if i were a guy reading this i would have gotten... well, that is over the line for even this pistol-wannabe to type to someone who doesn't know her well enough to take it in stride. you just gotta make this music available at some point or i'll totally eat my heart out!

    drooling,
    dw

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um, yeah, you just HAVE to get this one out so I'll have something else to obsess over. Right now it's "You Don't Have to Like Us Both" that I play over and over and over....

    I didn't know that you had a blog here; I guess I need to check things out more often!

    ReplyDelete